The word “detox” has become a bit of a buzz term and, unfortunately, carries some negative connotations. But, the process of detoxification is critical for optimal health and wellness. Luckily, our bodies naturally and constantly “detox” our blood to protect us from toxic buildup. The problem is when exposure to harmful substances from our food, lifestyle, and environment is high. Our bodies can’t keep up. It can overburden our systems.
It is where botanical medicines, specific nutrients, and a healthy lifestyle occur. Supplements can use it to enhance the body’s innate ability to detox. Although it seems that “detoxes” or “cleanses” have become a trend. Promoting detoxification is not new. For thousands of years in many cultures, including Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurvedic Medicine systems. This article breaks down how the body naturally detoxes, what happens when we are in ache, and what we can do to help our body function at its best.
HOW OUR BODY NATURALLY DETOXES
Our body is dealing with low levels of some toxins; without this ability, we could not survive. It is because we have a liver – our primary organ of detoxification. The liver is where waste products or toxins in our blood are broken down and packaged up to leave the body. Good detoxification also relies on the kidneys, intestines, lungs, skin, and lymphatic system to eliminate waste. If any one of these systems is compromised, it can lead to a buildup of toxic metabolites.
Furthermore, even with healthy detoxification systems, the toxic burden is more significant than ever before. There has been a 40 fold increase in the number of chemicals used in the environment in the last 100 years. It means our bodies have to work harder than ever to keep up.
When our bodies are overburdened, it can adversely affect our health and lead to several symptoms. Including acne, skin rashes, fatigue, pain, digestive problems, trouble losing weight, sleep issues, trouble concentrating, headaches and this list go on. Promoting healthy detoxification pathways should be a priority – although supporting detoxification should be something we do each day.
HOW TO SUPPORT DETOXIFICATION
When we want to support our body’s ability to detox, there are some key considerations.
- Reduce all toxic exposure from your diet, your house, care, and lifestyle
- Eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, recreational drugs, refined sugars, and harmful oils from your diet.
- Buy organic as much as you can.
- Minimize the use of chemical-based household products and personal care products.
- Practice good stress management and limit your triggers. Stress can slow down the body’s ability to clear toxins and add to the toxic load.
- Increase circulation to speed the clearance through the liver and kidneys.
- The best way to do this is through exercise. Get moving and get sweaty!
- If you have access to a sauna, this is a great way to promote detoxification as well.
- Fuel the body with a good diet
- Eat a whole foods diet including lots of cruciferous vegetables, berries, garlic, and spices like turmeric.
- Ensure optimal protein intake. It is essential to take protein for individuals to follow a detox program. Protein is critical for promoting detoxification as it is needs to carry the toxins out of the body for elimination.
- Specific nutrients like B-vitamins, NAC, magnesium, selenium, and more help the liver adequately clear toxins. Their breakdown products and protect against oxidative damage by free radicals.
- Drink at least 3L of filtered water daily. Increasing hydration is critical for allowing the organs to clear toxins effectively.
- Support the organs of detoxification
- All of the points above will help support the function of the liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs, skin, and lymphatic system. But sometimes these systems need some extra support. Botanical medicines can play a huge role in detoxification.
Here is a list of our top 3 botanicals to consider using while promoting detoxification:
Burdock Root: This is a beautiful botanical herb for detoxification as it supports all of the elimination pathways in the body. Using historically to promote circulation and “clean the blood” enhances overall detoxification.
Blessed Thistle: This botanical promotes better digestion by releasing gastric and digestive juices. It helps to detoxify the intestines, which are critical in elimination. It also helps the lungs in their ability to clear mucus, which is a different form of detoxification. Lastly, it helps detox at the skin level, which may help clear skin conditions and acne.
Red Clover: With many impacts on detoxification, Red clover is a powerful herb to support good liver function, improve circulation, and help to clear the lungs of mucus. Additionally, this botanical acts as a diuretic, helping clear the kidneys and promote elimination through urine.
Many other lifestyle habits and botanical medicines can help promote optimal detoxification and ensure the proper elimination of toxic buildup in the body. To summarize, you can encourage healthy detox daily by limiting your exposure to toxins, drinking plenty of water, eating a healthy diet, and moving your body. However, if you need added support, the botanicals listed above, along with many powerful others, have been blended in this convenient and easy-to-take supplement Flor-Essence®. This 8-herb formula synergistically supports multiple elimination pathways and gently cleanses the whole body on a cellular level. It can be used as an integral part of your daily health ritual to optimize the function of your organs of detoxification – helping you feel your best!