For me, eating plant-based means that I base most of my diet on a variety of vegetables, yet still include consciously chosen meats as a protein and heathy fat source. When it comes to making dishes with meat in them, I’m always sure to source from local, grass fed animals that are pasture raised. This recipe features BC-based Turtle Valley Bison, and a local baby butternut squash. I love bison as it’s packed with protein, iron and zinc. These are all essential for energy production and various other bodily functions. Squash is super low in sugar, and is a great source of potassium and fibre. This makes it a healthy carbohydrate option. I also included lots of grass fed butter. This can be subbed for coconut oil if you are looking for a dairy-free option. Feel free to get creative with the kinds of vegetables you are putting into the hash. You can even add some dried cranberries for a real festive flare! However you decide to make this butternut squash dish, make extra so you can enjoy the leftovers, and share with your friends.
BISON BUTTERNUT SQUASH BOWLS
Prep Time:15 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins | Total Time: 55 mins
These roasted butternut squash bowls are filled with Turtle Valley Bison and a veggie hash, for the perfect autumn or holiday dish.
Course: dinner, Main Course
Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gluten free
- 2 pounds grass fed ground bison We used Turtle Valley Bison
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 1-2 medium carrots grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 small butternut squash cut in half
- 1-2 tbsp grass fed butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut squash in halves and place on a baking sheet facing up, rubbing butter and salt and pepper to taste. Place in oven.
- Chop garlic and saute in large pan with butter then adding onion, stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chopped celery, zucchini and grated carrots. Mix in the ground bison and cook everything together until tender and bison is cooked all of the way through. Ass salt & pepper to taste.
- Once squash is cooked, and starts to turn golden brown, remove from the oven. Scoop the Bison & veggie hash into the butternut squash bowls, adding extra butter if desired. Sprinkle with chopped parsley for added flavour and colour. Serve Warm & Enjoy!
Tools required: grater, large pan, baking sheet