These energy balls may just be the perfect afternoon snack. Not only are they full of protein and good fats, we also added in a little coffee and cacao for an added energy boost. Our favourite part about these energy balls is that they are packed with walnuts, which are known to be one of the leading “brain foods”. This is because they contain one of the highest amounts of omega-3 fatty acids of any nut. Omega 3s are amazing for so many reasons, but in terms of brain health in particular, they help with mood, and support memory and thought processing.
Almond Espresso Energy Balls
Prep Time: 20 mins | Total Time:20 mins
These brain-boosting energy balls will satisfy that afternoon sugar craving (without the refined sugar), keeping you full and energized. Packed with healthy fats and protein, these are the perfect snack to keep on-hand for an afternoon pick-me-up.
- 1 cup Pitted dates (medjool is best)
- 2 cups Raw walnuts
- 1 tbsp Cacao powder
- 3 tbsp Hemp seeds plus more for rolling
- 1/2 tbsp Ground coffee beans or espresso
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 3 tbsp Creamy almond butter (or other nut of seed butter of choice)
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil (melted)
- Add dates to food processor or blender and pulse until small bits. Scoop out and set aside.
- Add walnuts to food processor or blender and pulse in a fine meal. Add in cacao powder, hemp seeds, coffee/espresso and sea salt. Pulse a few more times until mixed.
- Add dates, almond butter and melted coconut oil. Combine all of these until you have a dough-like texture. Add more cacao or hemp if mixture is too wet.
- Refrigerate mix for about 10 minutes. Scoop out 1 tbsp size, and form into balls using your hands
- Place extra hemp seeds in a bowl, and add 3-4 rolled balls into the hemp and shake gently to cover the outside of the balls with hemp seeds.
- Place on tray and refrigerate up to 1 week in a well sealed container, or up to 1 month in the freezer.
* Recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker.