3 Life-Changing Skincare Tips for Summer
Sisley Killam from The Pure Life shares her top three best skincare tips for the summer! As a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Sisley focuses on nutrition, lifestyle, and skincare products to help clear acne and support healthy skin.
Summer SkinCare Tip #1: Aloe Vera
Aloe vera taken internally was a huge part of my own digestive health journey. It wasn’t until 2018 that I moved to New Zealand and understood the amazing impact it has on our skin. If you are lucky enough to have an aloe vera plant (from a plant store, produce shop, or growing wild) – this might be your new favourite skincare tip for summer! Aloe not only soothes sunburns but also is naturally antibacterial and hydrating for the skin. I’ve personally noticed a huge difference in brightening my skin and reducing acne scars and blemishes.
How to use it:
- Scrape a tablespoon of the inner filet of an aloe vera leaf and apply topically after you’ve washed your face.
- Leave on until your face feels firm, about 20-30 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and apply your favourite moisturizer or face oil! That’s it!
Summer SkinCare Tip #2: Watermelon
Watermelon is not only insanely delicious but I also love it for skin reasons! This fresh and tasty fruit is naturally super hydrating, making it the perfect summer snack to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Watermelon contains heaps of bioavailable antioxidants, to help protect your skin from sun damage. It also packs in a good source of Vitamin C, to help support collagen production.
How to eat it:
- Enjoy fresh during the hot summer days (pack it to a beach picnic or enjoy after a sweaty workout).
- We blend watermelon with lime juice and mint for a hydrating and refreshing tonic that does wonders for the skin!
Summer SkinCare Tip #3: Iced Peppermint Tea
You’ve probably got a herb garden growing this Summer, and even if you don’t, you’re in luck! Peppermint is super easy to grow both in a garden and wild and is available in most grocery stores. Peppermint and spearmint are amazing for healthy skin, especially when it comes to hormone and digestion-related acne. It’s also soothing and cooling which is perfect for the summer heat. Making iced peppermint tea has been my favourite summer skincare hack for years and I can’t imagine summer without it!
How to make it:
- Make 1L of boiling water and place 1-2 handfuls of peppermint or spearmint leaves to be steeped for 15 minutes
- Transfer to water or large mason jar, cover with cold water, and set in the fridge to cool overnight
- Sip on this with ice or add a splash to your water bottle for a refreshing boost.
Be sure to check out Sisley’s post on what to eat for clear skin.