What this Holistic Nutritionist Eats in a Day for Healthy Skin
So you’ve heard that pumpkin seeds and berries are good foods for fighting acne, but you don’t really know how they factor into a healthy skin diet? Sisley Killam, Holistic Nutritionist and founder of The Pure Life, shares her day on a plate for healthy skin.
As a Holistic Nutritionist, I love focusing on clearing up acne and supporting gorgeous skin from the inside out. This is why I put such an emphasis on eating healthy, wholesome meals throughout the day.
Before I get into my “what I eat in a day”, I have to share my top 3 non-negotiables for healthy skin!
Sisley’s Non-Negotiables for Healthy Skin
- Filtered Water: drinking 1L of filtered water before breakfast is my must-do for healthy digestion + clear skin. I aim to get around 2-3L of water every day and make sure to stay extra hydrated on hot summer days.
- Berries: locally grown, in-season berries are my must-haves right now. I aim to eat ½ cup daily for antioxidants + fibre.
- Greens: I always have to have at least one kind of leafy green with my meals for a mineral boost + to help fight inflammation. My go-to right now is arugula – on everything!
After I’ve drank my 1L of filtered water, I like to reach for a post-workout smoothie (like this Tart Berry Smoothie bowl). Other days, we love making my Meditteranean Omelette (recipe in The Acne Protocol guide).
I usually pair this with a hot matcha latte – sometimes with a scoop of marine collagen if I’m feeling fancy, and always with a splash of oat milk. I aim to rest my digestion between breakfast and lunch and usually just aim for another big glass of water with lemon.
Lunch is my favourite because I always make my partner Ali and I a big nourish bowl of some sorts. Protein + healthy fats are super important here. Lately, we’ve been loving the Smashed Chickpea Salad from the blog on a bed of arugula or leafy garden greens. I always top it off with some fresh herbs for detoxification support! When I crave something fresh in the afternoon, I’ll reach for a green apple or carrot sticks (my go-to’s in the summer) or an energy ball.
Dinner is always something fun that we cook together, but lately we’ve been loving any kind of tacos on sprouted corn tortillas with homemade guacamole, salsa and shredded cabbage.
I’m a big dessert person, so I love making healthy treats and enjoying them alongside a cup of peppermint tea before bed.
Eating for healthy skin should be fun and enjoyable! Think of all the amazing foods you can include in your day to help support gorgeous skin.
- Pre-Breakfast: 1L filtered water
- Breakfast: a big beauty smoothie + matcha latte
- Lunch: Smashed Chickpea Salad on a bed of arugula
- Afternoon snack: Green apple
- Dinner: Corn tortilla tacos with wild fish, cabbage, cilantro, homemade guac & salsa
- Dessert: homemade cookie with a cup of peppermint tea
It’s important to remember that everybody thrives off different foods and styles of eating. Listen to your body and do what’s best for you! 🙂